I can't believe I have already gone to four years of girls camp! And what fun it has been :)
This year I was a 4th year and had the opportunity to go on the overnighter hike. Usually they do this the Monday the week of camp but since it was going to be too cold to hike up at where we were camping they decided to do it the weekend before up a different canyon.
And it all started on June 5, 2014. Which happened to be Alexia's birthday! Yay! It also happened to be the day I got sick, from what, I do not know. All I know is that I decided to eat the IHOP pancakes even though I felt nauseous and then the IHOP pancakes decided to come right back up. Happy Birthday...
When we got home I was stuck to the couch for the rest of the night. Oi! I did get to watch some Harry Potter though :).
Now here is where girls camp comes in. I woke up on the morning of June 6th. Still feeling kind of icky but guess what! The over nighter was today. I did not want to miss that. So I packed up my bags, buffed up and went. Probably not the best idea but I went and it was a blast! I love my Young Women leaders, they are seriously thee funniest and sweetest people. And my darling friend Lexi, who carried my 25 pound pack up the hardest part of the hike. Seriously the coolest people ever.
| Lexi and I getttin' our hike on! |
We finished the hiking part of the overnighter and set up camp. You may be imagining a lovely mountain view and campfires but ladies and gentlemen this was a cow field. With many cows, including angry ones. Apparently angry cows don't moo, they yell. I thought we were goners the way that cow came trudging through our camp! When he left our campsite you could hear the screams from little kids at the other site. Yikes! No one was hurt though and we got a good laugh out of that angry cow.
| I've discovered that a hiking backpack can double as a chair ;) |
When it got dark we had a fun little devotional where we followed a dark path, without tripping on rocks, and then we listened to a couple of stories. A girls standing in the back of the crowd accidentally had to toss some cookies out of her mouth and I prayed the same would not happen to me. Luckily it did not but unfortunately that girl had to go home that night, at least she finished the hike!
We got back to our campsite and did some stargazing, some scripture reading, and some game playing. Then it was time for bed. My young women leader had a tent all to herself and Myriam (the junior leader) and I shared a tent. Myriam was asleep when I got in there so I quietly put my long johns on under my pants and shimmied into my warm sleeping bag. I slept fabulously! Except for there was some girls talking until 3 in the morning and I heard Myriam sigh really loud occasionally and I was kind of thirsty and my stomach was a little queezy but hey! it works. :)
Apparently Myriam and my young women leader did not has such fabulous sleep as I and were awake and ready to get up and go quite early, so at 5:30 am we packed up, found some muffins and left before any of the other girls were awake.
The hike back down seemed SO long especially on an icky stomach but we talked, we laughed, and we ran a few steps and then we made it to the car. Yippee! We were home by 8 am which was quite earlier then we were expecting to be there. I took a shower to wash off all that stinky cow smell and put on some good smelling lotion and clean clothes.
Then I was stuck on the couch the rest of the day. :)
--> Ashley! :)
No comments:
Post a Comment